Document - Egypt: Further information: Canadian detainees on hunger strike in Egypt


Further information on UA: 248/13 Index: MDE 12/054/2013 Egypt Date: 19 September 2013


canadian detainees on hunger strike in egypt

Canadians Tarek Loubani and John Greyson are on hunger strike in protest at their continued detention in Egypt. On 14 September, the Public Prosecution extended their detention for a further 15 days following a brief investigation in Tora Prison.

Doctor Tarek Loubani and Professor John Greyson began their hunger strike, in which they will receive liquids but no food, on 16 September 2013. They continue to be held on charges of “violence”, “inciting violence” and “carrying weapons”, as well as “destroying public property”. They are being held alongside hundreds of Egyptians who were arrested during violence in Cairo on 16 August.

Amnesty International is concerned that, as with the hundreds of others arrested that day, Tarek Loubani and John Greyson have been accused of a broad array of offences without apparent consideration of their individual criminal responsibility.

Tarek Loubani and John Greyson arrived in Egypt on 15 August with the intention of travelling immediately to Gaza, in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Tarek Loubani was hoping to build a relationship between the university hospital in Gaza and the hospital that he works for in Canada. John Greyson, a filmmaker, was accompanying him to document the situation in Gaza. On arrival in Egypt the men had to stay in Cairo as the border with Gaza was shut.

Please write immediately in Arabic, English or your own language:

Urging the Egyptian authorities to release Tarek Loubani and John Greyson, unless they have sufficient admissible evidence to try them before a civilian court in line with international fair trial standards and without recourse to the death penalty;

Asking the Egyptian authorities to continue to give the men access to their lawyers, families and consular representatives and any medical assistance they may require.


Interim President

Adly Mahmoud Mansour

Office of the President

Al Ittihadia Palace

Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt

Fax: +202 2 391 1441

Salutation: Your Excellency

Minister of Defence

General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi

Ministry of Defence

Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt

Fax: +202 2 290 6004

Fax/Phoneline: +202 2 291 6227

Salutation: Dear General

Public Prosecutor

Hesham Mohamed Zaki Barakat

Office of the Public Prosecutor

Supreme Court House, 1 “26 July” Road

Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt

Fax: +202 2 577 4716

+202 2 575 7165

(switched off after office hours, GMT+2)

Salutation: Dear Counsellor�

Also send copies to diplomatic representatives accredited to your country.

Please check with your section office if sending appeals after the above date. This is the first update of UA: 248/13. Further information:


canadian detainees on hunger strike in egypt

ADditional Information

Thousands of Egyptians took to the streets on 30 June to ask President Mohamed Morsi to call early presidential elections. It was the start of a new wave of protests against his rule. Over the following days, many of the president’s supporters also took to the streets to stage counter-protests. Many of the protests saw clashes between the president’s supporters and opponents.

On the night of 3 July, Minister of Defence Abdel Fattah al-Sisi announced that the Constitution was suspended and that Mohamed Morsi was no longer president. He said that an interim government would rule the country ahead of new elections. In the weeks after 3 July, political violence led to the deaths of dozens of Mohamed Morsi’s supporters and opponents. In the streets, pro-Morsi protesters faced a series of increasingly bloody crackdowns by the security forces. They led to the deaths of 51 people on 8 July near the Republican Guard Club in Cairo’s Nasr City and over 80 people on 27 July around Rabaa al-Adawiya. At the height of the violence on 14 August, over 480 people died after the security forces dispersed mass sit-ins in Nasr City.

On 16 August, 97 people died in violence in Cairo after protests around Ramsis Square by supporters of Egypt’s ousted president, Mohamed Morsi, deteriorated into violence. Evidence collected by Amnesty International indicates that some pro-Morsi supporters were heavily armed and used live ammunition against police and local residents who had sided with security forces. However, bystanders and non-violent protesters were also killed in the chaos that ensued.

Security forces failed to take control of the situation or respond to violence used against them in a measured and responsible way to minimize loss of life. Amnesty International has documented an incident where the security forces shot tear gas inside the Al-Fath mosque leading to the death of at least one woman as a result of suffocation.

Several pro-Morsi marches seeking to join the main protest at Ramsis Square on 16 August turned into violent confrontations between protesters and local residents, who sought to prevent demonstrators from accessing their neighbourhoods. Victims included Morsi supporters, local residents and members of the security forces.

Fierce fighting lasted for hours around the Azbakiya Police Station, where scuffles between Morsi supporters and local residents escalated into heavy gun battles between protesters and security forces, supported by local residents. The building was later riddled with bullet holes. Casualties were documented on both sides, mostly caused by gunshot wounds. The head of the Police Station, Brigadier-General Imad Fawzi, reported that two lower-ranking members of the security forces died. Thirty more were injured in the violence.

Clashes which began shortly after Friday prayers near the al-Fath mosque grew fiercer once a pro-Morsi march arrived onto the 6 October Bridge seeking to join the main protest in Ramsis Square.

During the incidents and after, the security forces conducted widespread random arrests of more than 650 persons, including women and children, all on the same broad array of accusations, without consideration for their individual criminal responsibility.

Name: Tarek Loubani and John Greyson

Gender m/f: m

Further information on UA: 248/13 Index: MDE 12/054/2013 Issue Date: 19 September 2013

image1.png image2.png

How you can help