The 2013 Annual Report on
India is now live »
1. AI sends representatives to Equatorial Guinea; 2. India: Call for release of hostages held by armed groups in Jammu and Kashmir.
Report NWS 11/134/1994
1. India: AI rejects request for meeting with Harkatul Ansar.
Report NWS 11/126/1994
1. India: AI condemns abduction of two tourists in Jammu and Kashmir (David Mackie and Kim Housego); 2. Hong Kong: AI calls on the Hong Kong ...
Report NWS 11/123/1994
1. India: AI welcomes possible legal amendment making judicial inquiries mandatory in all cases of death in police custody.
Report NWS 11/118/1994
There continues to be concern at the number of reports of custodial death as a result of torture or medical neglect, despite official condemnations at the ...
Report ASA 20/002/1994
On 9 May 1994 AI reported the case of a young man, Jugataram, in the state of Rajasthan who had his penis severed by police officers while held at ...
Report ASA 20/017/1994
Sukhwinder Singh Bhatti has not been seen since he was abducted by armed men from a bus travelling to his home village of Badbar on 12 May 1994 ...
Urgent Action ASA 20/018/1994
Surjit Singh and Bhinda Singh were reportedly released at the end of February. Sukhwinder Singh, however, reportedly remains in detention without ...
Urgent Action ASA 20/016/1994
1. India: Amnesty International calls for release of prisoners of conscience. 2. China: Arrests continue as China's parliament considers new legislation ...
Report NWS 11/098/1994
According to press reports Jugataram, aged 29, was taken into police custody for questioning in the town of Barmer on 2 February 1994. On 5 February ...
Report ASA 20/014/1994